Whitehorse YT

We are in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. Got here yesterday, leaving tomorrow.
When we were in Teslin YT, three of us got a native, called First Nation, to take us fishing on Teslin Lake.





My first catch, an Arctic Char











The one in my right took 15 minutes to land using my light rod. We had five total so we held a fish fry. Nineteen people and I still have one filet and some leftovers in my fridge.









This Eagle was waiting for us to throw away the head and guts.












 Then on to Whitehorse where they have a DC3 at the airport mounted as a wind direction indicator. It does turn into the wind.





We visited a museum where I tried throwing a spear using a lever held in the hand. I did not do so good. You can see the lever in my right hand and see Arney, behind me, holding a spear.





Today we went to MukTuk kennels for a sled dog tour.














They have 115 sled dogs. The dogs are all well cared for and when they get to old to pull the sled, they still keep and care for them.
It is owned by Frank Turner, a Champion Musher (dog sled driver) He spent about an hour and a half with us telling what it is like on the Ididitrrod and Yukon Quests. Both are 1000 mile races.










All are very friendly. Visitors are allowed to roam thru the kennels and pet them.








They turned a lot of them loose and the dogs headed for the Yukon River. Our guide Muicella was very good. She knows the names and traits of all 115 dogs. The dogs love the cold water.








I put Cathy in the dog house. Actually she got in with the newborn pups. Their eyes were just opening. Mama was close but didn't mind.










There is an Eagle that stays there. They will throw him a piece of salmon near his tree. I missed the picture of him swooping down for it.








 Supper at the kennels. Moose steaks, Elk, Reindeer Sausage and Arctic Char with salad, baked potato, maple carrots and Blueberry Crisp & Ice Cream.Yum, Yum. Now we are stuffed. Oh by the way, Muicella was our cook.






Tomorrow we leave for Pellas Junction for a nights stopover. Then on to Dawson City.

Comments

Popular Posts